Our Beliefs(Adapted from "Our Sixteen Doctrines," published by the General Council of the Assemblies of God)
The Bible is completely adequate by itself to serve as the guide for our beliefs and way of living. This paraphrased version of the Statement of Fundamental Truths is intended only to make the official Statement more readily understood. The primary statement, as it appears in the Constitution of the Assemblies of God, is intended to be the common basis for the fellowship and unity of Assemblies of God churches around the world, or as the Bible recommends, that we may agree with one another so as to avoid divisions because of disagreements on what we believe (I Corinthians 1:10 and Acts 2:42). The official Statement can be read in its entirety on the national Assemblies of God web site.
There is no claim that the wording of this statement is divinely inspired (as is the Bible), but the truth it sets forth is felt to be essential to a full-gospel, Bible-based ministry. Furthermore, there is no pretense that this statement contains all of the Bible's truth. It merely covers some of the basic fundamental teaching thought to be vital to successful Christian living.
- The Scriptures are given by God.
(2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Luke 24:27)
- We believe in one true God.
(Psalm 14:1; John 14:23)
- We believe in the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ.
(Isaiah 9:6; John 1:33,34; John 1:1,14)
- We believe in the fall of man.
(Genesis 3:7-24; Romans 5:12-19)
- We believe in the salvation of man.
(Luke 3:6; Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-10)
- We believe in the ordinances of the church.
a. Water Baptism (Acts 8:36; John 3:23)
b. Holy Communion (1 Corinthians 11:27-29)
- We believe in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
(Joel 2:28-29; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:4, 38-39; Acts 19)
- We believe in the evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
(Acts 2:4; 10:46; 19:1-7)
- We believe in the instantaneous yet continuous work of sanctification.
(2 Corinthians 7:1; 1 Corinthians 6:11; Hebrews 10:10,14; Colossians 2:10)
- We believe in the church and its mission.
(Romans 16:5; Ephesians 1:22; Matthew 16:18; Acts 2:47)
a. Evangelize (Matthew 28:19, 20; Mark 16:15)
b. Edification (1 Corinthians 14:26; Galatians 6:1-2)
c. Worship (Romans 12:1; John 4:23-24)
- We believe every member is a minister.
(Ephesians 4:1; John 21:15-17; Acts 13:1; Acts 2:42-46)
- We believe in Divine Healing.
(Romans 5:12; Acts 10:38; Luke 13:11-17)
- We believe in the Blessed Hope.
(John 14:2-3; I Thessalonians 4:13-17; I Thessalonians 1:10; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52)
- We believe in the Millennial Reign of Christ.
(Revelations 20:1-10; Romans 8:19-23; Zechariah 14:9)
- We believe in the final judgment.
(Matthew 25:41; Luke 3:17; Revelations 20:10)
- We believe in the new heavens and new earth.
(1 Corinthians 15:28; Revelations 20:11-15; 21:8; Jude 14-15)